New York Yelpers Hit the Sand for Yelp's A Beach!
Hot in...so hot in here. Hey, Nelly it was a scorcher and New Yorkers from all five boroughs (and Connecticut!) came out for the event of the season to sweat, sway and scarf down 5-star worthy food and cocktails at Water Taxi Beach this past Saturday afternoon.
The Elites arrived for their VIP hour glistening and pink-faced from the subway ready for some Yelp spray-bottle misting before entering the private beach cove. Abigail M looked ravishing in her bikini and sarong combo while Danny P upped the ante with his (yelp) red shirt and hula skirt -- though the coconut bra looked better on his plus one. Beyond the bodacious beach fashion show, yelpers used their powers of imbibing to test out over 15 different cocktails participating in the NY Spirits Awards "Ultimate Summer Cocktail Competition" that included:
- Pitu Punch
- SoCo Tea
- Herradura Paloma
- No. 126 & Orange V Lemonade
- Tommy Bahama White Sand Citrus, Dark & Ginger and Tropical Moment
- Tanteo Frozen Lemon Zing, Frozen Cocoa Loco and Frozen Tanteo Tropical Margarita Especial
- Leblon Cachaça Banana Batida and Cherry Caipirinha
- VeeV Spa Cooler and Joie de VeeV
- Beija F.U.C. on the Beach
Other excitement: Jamel O. let Andre L. hold his beach pail while he hoola hooped, Diane L. bounced Yelp beach balls over the crowd, Chun L. and Tom C. both flexed some big biceps for some beach babes, Judy K. gnawed on pulled pork sandwiches and vegan soy dogs from Harry's kitchen, Phong-lan H. took a dip in some fancy SPF 30 at the Arbonne sunscreen booth, Elliot W. snagged a yelpified frisbee while Sarah W. got temporary tatted at the charity booth! Phew...that's sure a lot of action during this red hot summer fiesta!
The NY Coalition Against Hunger managed to raise almost $3,000 from our generous Yelpers. This donation works to help fight hunger in New York
City by providing:
- 500 lbs of fresh, locally grown produce for low-income New Yorkers
- 41 families with assistance to each obtain $2800 worth of government nutrition benefits
- 27 days of an AmeriCorps national service participant serving at a soup kitchen full-time to address our community's strategic needs
Thanks to the staff at Water Taxi Beach for a feast fit for a Yelp Elite and thanks to all the amazing spirits teams who participated in the competition. Everyone really stepped up their game and left even the most discerning yelper in cocktail heaven.
Peep the photos from Entwined Studio and see what they are saying on talk. Reviews of the event are posted here, feel free to add your two cents if you were in the crowd! If it you weren't...well, where were you? Don't miss the next one!
Now shake that sand out of your pants, here comes September...
- Jane K. and the Yelp NY Team!